Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tonight: Great Nostalgic, Bubbles, FM Campers at Beerland


Beerland has a free show tonight with a pretty solid local lineup, presented by Future Sounds. Starting at 9, you can catch FM Campers, The Bubbles and The Great Nostalgic.

The Great Nostalgic's indie-pop sound is at times mellow and at times melodramatic. I reviewed their debut album last year. It was one of my favorite local offerings of 2009. Their sophomore album is due out later this year.

The Bubbles are the only band on this bill I've yet to see live. Listening to their tunes on MySpace, you can tell they're a product of Austin: lo-fi garage pop that seems to be channeling Spoon at times. They've gotten lots of praise, though, so I'm looking forward to finally catching 'em.

When I saw FM Campers for the first time earlier this year, I immediately thought "Animal Collective impersonators." That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy what I heard. They sounded pretty good live. I just hope they've grown as a band and tried to incorporate different sounds and influences since then. Here's a video of FM Campers performing back in February.


0 comments: