Monday, November 2, 2009

Photos: Haunting Oboe Music at Beauty Bar

You know what sucks? When a band you admire loses its shit.

I've written extensively about Haunting Oboe Music on this blog. The sextet undertook the ambitious goal of releasing 12 EPs in 2008, and they accomplished that goal admirably with lots of great new music. But 2009 has seen the exit of one member at the start of the year, followed by a string of tentative performances as a quintet with tons of new material to learn. The band added a new member, the supremely talented multi-instrumentalist David Shackelford, during the summer. But just as the band seemed to be getting comfortable again, last Thursday's show at Beauty Bar ended rather chaotically.

First, you need to know that this band has two drummers, one of whom walked off stage in the middle of the last song (after breaking his drum sticks on a couple of particularly hard cymbal hits). When the band's other drummer saw him walk off, he started beating the shit out of both drum kits, kicking over a bass drum and knocking over cymbal stands. The whole time, the guitarists up front ran with it and rocked the fuck out, using one bass drum to do a crazy rock 'n roll jump high above the stage. After this chaos calmed and the song was over, an older gentleman in the crowd shouted, "That's the most over-the-top, amazing thing I've ever seen!" He didn't know it was all unscripted. It was like early Trail of Dead or At The Drive-In lived again, if only for a moment. But that moment wasn't without consequences.

Later that night, the drummer who walked off stage told his bandmates, "I quit." Sure enough, he's no longer listed as a member on the band's MySpace page. The band is still together. They're playing a couple of shows in College Station and Houston this weekend. Is this a new beginning for the Oboes, or the beginning of the end? We shall see.

View the complete Flickr collection here.

bty091029-oboe02

bty091029-oboe03

bty091029-oboe05

bty091029-oboe04

bty091029-oboe07

________________________________________________________________
'NITES, A Blog For Austinites :: Supporting local live music in Austin, Texas :: nitesblog.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sparkles!!

Justin said...

Aw man, not photos of the carnage? I personally can't stand it when a band throws a temper tantrum. There's difference between "feeling it" (the rest of the band) and "losing it" (angry ex-drummer). Call me old fashioned, but I think there's a time and place for venting your frustrations.

Ajay M said...

I turned my camera off during the last song (my mistake, argh!). I should've taken a picture of the after-result, though. I wasn't on my game, I guess. I think I was still too in awe of the spectacle to act.

Drum Kits Round Up said...

It must have been a fun fun night! Thanks for this post.