Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend photos: Carousel Lounge

On Friday, I'd planned to check out a show at Hole in the Wall. I showed up to the bar early enough to have a taco dinner before the music started (some of the best tacos in town, by the way). That's when Denis the bartender told me his band The Bread was playing later that night at Carousel Lounge in north Austin. The other acts on the bill: the gritty delta bluesman Mrs. Glass and the whiskey-drenched folk tunes of Jesse Moore and the East Cameron Folkcore. Three of my favorite local acts in one night? I'm there!

The Carousel Lounge is an interesting place. It's a circus-themed BYOB dive bar in a dangerous neighborhood off of Cameron Road, up north. As for its musical leanings, Denis described the place best when he said, "I've seen some of the best bands I've ever seen there, and some of the worst I've ever seen."


caro090918-glass03
Mrs. Glass singin' some dirty blues


caro090918-glass05
His ragged guitar case doubles as a kick drum


caro090918-folkcore01
Jesse Moore and Eric Lopez


caro090918-folkcore07
The Folkcore brass section


caro090918-glass06
Liquor in the front


caro090918-misc06
Nice tats


caro090918-misc03
Seein' pink elephants


caro090918-misc04
Never!


View the rest of the Carousel set at Flickr here.

________________________________________________________________
Please consider making a small donation or sharing my content with others. Click below.

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: