Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tonight: Crooks CD Release Show @ Mohawk

Crooks promo picHave you ever given the ABC answer? You know: Someone asks you what kind of music you listen to and you say, "Anything but country." Austin's Crooks are exactly the reason why that's a dumb answer.

Imagine country music that isn't made for prime-time reality TV shows and that isn't polished on shiny Nashville stages. Instead, imagine country music that is honed in dive bars and played before small crowds of drunken 20- and 30-somethings who grew up wearing flannel and listening to grunge. This is Red River District country. It's throwback, but not cliché. It's inspired by Hank Williams and Gram Parsons, not Toby Keith or Keith Urban. Crooks spent last year recording an album, and today they officially release the thing with a show at Mohawk. Throw in like-minded folk and indie-rock bands Frank Smith and Western Ghost House, and you're looking at a solid all-local Thursday night bill. Check out Crooks on MySpace.

"Give Me Good Reason" [unmastered version]

Download [right-click, Save As]

________________________________________________________________
Please consider making a small donation or sharing my content with others. Click below.

Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo, Bud, I really like the Crooks and their sound. Although when I was listening to their song, I said hey, they sound like a band I've heard before. I went to MySpace and searched for Mice and Rifles. I've seen Mice and Rifles perform before and I would say they are close in sound and style. Take a listen Bud and let me know what you think. Now don't blow me off, take a listen. (mm)