Thursday, December 25, 2008

Tip Your Videographers

My goal when I launched this ambitious little project four months ago was to have a dozen videos online by the end of the year. Well, it's Christmas Day and I managed to upload 16 episodes and an interview (a kick-ass one if I do say so myself). When I started filming bands in July, it wasn't necessarily my goal to create a blog or website. I just wanted to film bands. I love live music, I love Austin, and I love making videos. Why not combine the three? So that's what I did.

I made a conscious decision early on that I wouldn't charge the bands featured here. I come from a journalism background, and you don't charge your sources to write a story about them. You write stories about specific people because you find them interesting and compelling or because they're emblematic of something -- a trend or a prevailing sentiment. I treat my videos as stories and the bands as my sources.

That said, it costs money to do all this: gas, miniDV tapes, camera accessories. I love filmmaking and live music, which means I genuinely enjoy running this blog. I also love feeling appreciated and making money when I can, so this is my attempt to combine both of those: If you like what you see on this blog, if it's provided you even 60 seconds of entertainment, please consider donating to the cause. I've created a Paypal button (above and below). You can pay with a debit or credit card, or your Paypal account if you have one. Like I said, it wasn't necessarily my goal to create a weekly-updated blog for my videos. But now that I have, I want to keep this thing going for as long as possible. If I'm lucky and diligent, I'll be posting a similar note a year from now. If I'm really lucky, I won't have to. Cheers.

-Ajay Miranda

Donate $15








If you click the donate button on the 'Nites MySpace page, you can choose your donation amount.

0 comments: