Monday, September 8, 2008

About: 'NITES, a blog for Austinites

UPDATED February 2010

View my Blogger profile

'NITES is an Austin-based music blog that covers the local music scene in Central Texas. My name is Ajay Miranda; I'm a writer with experience in newspaper reporting, editing, photography and videography. I started this blog because I love live music and I think Austin is the best city in the world for finding great new bands.

More about me: I'm currently the managing editor of Austin Vida, an online magazine that focuses on Latino culture and music. I'm a graduate University of Texas' School of Journalism. I've written for several daily newspapers (but please, don't hold that against me). These include The Wall Street Journal, The Denver Post, and Laredo Morning Times. I also had a semester-long stint as an assistant editor at The Daily Texan, UT's official student newspaper.

More about the blog: 'NITES started as a YouTube account called Nites ATX on Fourth of July weekend, 2008. I'm a videographer by hobby and I wanted to showcase my concert videos online. In September 2008, I launched the blog 'NITES. The name is a play on words: short for "Austinites" but also a reference to the fact that this blog mostly deals with nightlife-related stuff. Why all-caps? I don't know; it just looks better to my eyes.

'NITES has been featured in The Daily Texan, Republic of Austin and the Do512 Blog.

You can contact me about music or Austin or advertising on my blog, if you're so inclined. Info below.

E-mail: nites[at]gmx.com
Follow: Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, Youtube

I'm more than just a blogger. I write, edit, photograph and videograph for the following outlets: Austin Vida, Double Stereo, INsite Austin.

Obviously, 'NITES isn't the only music blog in Austin. I do read other local blogs and magazines. Some notables include (in alphabetical order): Austin Bloggy Limits, Austin Hip Hop Scene, Austin Music + Entertainment, Austin Sound, Austin Town Hall, AustinistBig Western Flavor, Burnt Orange ReportClub Kingsnake, Covert Curiosity, Culture MobDeli AustinDo512 Blog, East Austinites, Get Dressed Show, HipstercriteIan's Music Blog, Maggie's AustinParty Ends, Peen Scene, Popolio, Republic of AustinShow List Austin, SlackerwoodSo Many Bands, Soundcheck Magazine, Taco JournalismTwo Groove, Ultra8201.

Some good resources for local musicians: Austin Music Foundation and Health Alliance for Austin Musicians.

0 comments: